Touchstone, September 2003. Trade Paperback. Used - Good. Item #232101
From America's foremost chess teacher and author comes a new standard: a comprehensive course covering all aspects of the game, to improve your technique whether you are a newcomer or a longtime fan.
One of America's best-known chess masters, Bruce Pandolfini has helped millions learn the intricacies of chess through his acclaimed books and workshops. In this exciting volume, he presents a complete overview of the entire game and its culture. Structured as a dialogue between a beginning student and an expert teacher, Pandolfini's Ultimate Guide to Chess takes the student step-by-step from fundamentals to advanced, highly strategic play. Combining easy-to-follow diagrams with trenchant and up-to-date analysis, Pandolfini puts a new twist on accepted chess theory, offering a seamless beginning-to-end approach, including:
- a short introductory history of the game
- the moves, rules, and contemporary notation forms
- the basic principles of chess
- how to develop an opening repertoire
- the art of tactical play
- pattern recognition and memory aids
- traps and pitfalls to be avoided
- middlegame play, strategy, and planning
- defense and counterattack
- transitions to the endgame and the endgame itself
- computers and the future of chess
- the best websites for playing chess online
With Pandolfini's expert insight into the history and modern world of chess, as well as several appendices to enhance play and appreciation, Pandolfini's Ultimate Guide to Chess makes the perfect gift for players of all ages and will be the benchmark title for chess players for years to come.